Service Requests

To make requesting service as easy as possible, you may submit your request via e-mail, inter-office mail or by telephone. Service requests for the system are handled by a technician, generally by the end of the next business day. If your request does not require a technician, a member of the staff will respond, generally by the end of the next business day. This page describes the different mechanisms for submitting a request as well as the information you should include.

Note: Emergencies provides telephone numbers for Security, medical, fire and police services. If you need to report a system wide telephone problem after hours or on weekends, please notify Security.

Mechanisms for making a request

The best way to ask for help or service is to send an e-mail to . Your e-mail will be distributed to several people on campus so your request will be seen quickly. If coordination among several people is required, it will happen automatically. E-mail also provides a written description as well as documentation of your request and insures the most appropriate response.

If you do not have access to e-mail, you may call the telephone help line at x8009. (If you need to call the telephone help line from off campus, dial (609) 734-8009.) Voice mail messages are retrieved several times per weekday from x8009. Generally, they are transcribed into e-mail for in order to be sent to all appropriate parties.

If you wish, you may send written requests via inter-office mail to the Receptionist in Fuld Hall.

Note: If you are a Member making arrangements for telephone service prior to your arrival, you should have received information from Member Services. Please return your telephone service request forms for housing directly to Member Services, not to the Receptionist.


Some service requests incur charges described in Charges . Questions are free. If you are uncertain whether a service request will incur a charge, please ask. When a charge will be incurred, the service request must come from or be authorized by the person responsible for the phone bill or, in the case of housing, from Member Services.

What's needed on a request?

The next section describes specific information required for common requests, but in general, your request should include:

  • Your name and how to reach you (telephone number, office, apartment).

  • When you will be available. (Not always necessary, but often useful for questions.)

  • The nature of the request. Is this a repair, move, add or change? Do you just have a question about how to do something?

  • The telephone numbers involved and their office or apartment locations. Most telephone jacks on campus are labeled with a white strip that has the office or apartment number along with a faceplate letter designation. For example, F319B or H196A. If you can see this label and report it, it may save time in handling your request.

Common requests

  • Questions: Please ask anything. The phone system has a rich set of features, many of which go unused. The telephone technician or a staff member will contact you. You may also wish to visit Answers to Frequently Asked Questions to see if yours is a common question. If you have a question about your telephone bill, you are welcome to contact the Business Office directly. Please remember though, that if you use , more people see the question and may be able to correct the problem.

  • Suggestions: Send them in. No promises of results, but it certainly helps future planning.

  • Repair: Please describe the symptoms of the problem. Your description may be as simple as "I don't have dial tone." or may be a complicated problem involving voice mail. The better you describe it, the more likely it will be quickly identified and resolved. There is no charge for normal repair.

  • Service level changes: Changes in your office phone's service level must be received from the school administrative officer or administrative manager in charge of that phone's monthly bill. Changes to service levels in housing must be received from Member Services. The request should include the new level of service desired. Charges may apply.

  • Moves: Include the extension, existing office location and new office location for moving office phones. There is no charge for moving office phones. Apartment phones may only be connected at the existing single jack location.

  • Adds: Include the location of the new line and whether it is for a phone, modem or fax. If it is an office phone, include programming details, what features keys are required and how the name should appear on the set. Is voice mail required? See Charges for details.

  • Feature Changes: Requests for changes to features on office phones should include a description of what you are trying to accomplish with the change. Often you may already have the capability on the existing phone.

  • Special Requests: This category is for everything else. For example, requests requiring the running of new cables or installation of network gear. Include what you need. Be aware that special requests may get special billing.