School Administrative Officer
JOB TITLE: School Administrative Officer
DEPARTMENT: School of Historical Studies
REPORTS TO: School Executive Officer
Reporting to the School Executive Officer, the School Administrative Officer is responsible for managing the administrative operations of the School of Historical Studies, conferring with the Executive Officer when needed. Responsibilities include overall management of the support staff, assistance to the permanent Faculty with research-related needs and concerns, oversight of the School budget, management and oversight of the School’s website, and serving as primary point of contact for other Institute departments. All other duties, as assigned by the School Executive Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Serve as the senior administrative professional on behalf of the School of Historical Studies
- In consultation with the School Executive Officer, carry out the overall administrative duties related to the functioning of the School; keep the Executive Officer informed of any issues of concern to the School.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate the Academic Assistants to coordinate the day to day work of Faculty, Emeriti, visiting professors, members and short-term visitors. Assign and manage work duties, carry out annual performance evaluation process and coordinate time off.
- Take primary responsibility for the use and upkeep of space within the School. Manage the use of offices and seminar spaces allocated to the School. Oversee Facilities-related concerns with respect to offices and seminar rooms. Handle arrangements for office space for Faculty, staff, Visitors, Research Associates, or Visiting Associates, when applicable. If housing is offered to any scholar in the above-noted categories, consult with appropriate officer regarding housing related issues. Collaborate with the Director of Member Programs for the assignment of office space for Members.
- Assist with administrative aspects of search procedures for new faculty appointments.
- Prepare and update calendar of activities and events associated with the School, and assure accurate information about events and activities is displayed on the website.
- Maintain and update the School of Historical Studies Handbook
- Manage the coordination and planning of meetings, seminars and conferences. Act as liaison with other schools and administration to coordinate services and policies.
- Oversight for adequate levels of office supplies and equipment; tracks inventory and ensure supplies are ordered as needed. Coordinates requests for new equipment as approved by the Executive Officer.
- Respond to inquiries from scholars, or requests from Faculty, regarding potential appointments of Visitors, Research Associates, or Visiting Associates. Coordinate sharing of information about such requests with the Faculty, and prepare formal responses to such requests.
- Coordinate arrangements for scholars coming to the Institute as Visitors, Research Associates, or Visiting Associates. In conjunction with the Academic Assistants, arrange and prepare office space, introduce arriving scholars in these categories to the Institute, and respond to inquiries about Institute resources and provide assistance with accounting-related matters.
- Prepare internal school photo directory and assist with preparation of school-related sections of the Introductory Brochure and Annual Report.
- Initiate, communicate and implement School policies.
- Maintain and update pertinent information and announcements on the school website.
Coordinate support for the permanent Faculty of the School
- Coordinate support for the work of the permanent Faculty, taking primary responsibility for administrative and organizational oversight of Faculty-sponsored events, seminars, conferences or programs.
- Assist Faculty (as needed) with preparation of grant applications, budgets and reports for Faculty-sponsored programs and events.
- Track spending and reimbursements, as needed, for Faculty projects and grants.
Responsible for the overall financial management of the School
- Prepare annual grant reports for government and foundation funding; assist with application process for funding, including some drafting of grant proposals and communications with foundations and government agencies.
- Prepare and review budget/financial reports with Comptroller’s Office and Executive Officer; in collaboration with the Director of Membership Programs (for Member stipends portion). Provides oversight and review of the full School budget, and work with the Comptroller’s office to resolve questions related to payments.
All other duties as assigned by the Executive Officer
Skills and Abilities:
- Develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to set expectations and monitor delegated activities.
- Ability to manage frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Academic Assistant (4)
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 7 years of related experience, including prior experience in an academic environment and knowledge of grant procedures preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Good working knowledge of personal computers required, including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate and work in a team environment sharing expertise with others.
- Prior supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of a foreign language a plus.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program. Interested candidates please apply to the position at: ias.synchr-recruit.com/job/107041/school-administrative-officer