JOB TITLE: Program Manager
DEPARTMENT: School of Mathematics
REPORTS TO: School Administrative Officer
Reporting to the School Administrative Officer, the Program Manager is responsible for providing day-to-day and overall administrative and operational management for the programs of the School of Mathematics. The Program Manager has a wide range of responsibilities, including collaborating with the co-Program Manager, School Faculty, PCMI Director, WAM Academic Program Manager, Principal Investigators, Distinguished Visiting Professors, and other organizers to manage, plan, and administer the School’s programs; participant support; grants administration and fundraising in partnership with the IAS Development team; marketing and recruitment.
This position will be based at the Institute for Advanced Study campus in Princeton, NJ. This position will also attend the entire 3-week PCMI program in Utah or other future location.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the co-Program Manager, faculty, leaders, and organizers to plan and implement all School of Math programs, including but not limited to:
- Park City Math Institute (in collaboration with the PCMI Director)
- Women and Mathematics (in collaboration with the WAM Academic Program Manager)
- Special-Year Workshops (in collaboration with the Distinguished Visiting Professor)
- Conference for African-American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences
- Summer Collaborators
- Emerging Topics
- Math Science Institutes Diversity Initiatives
- Other Workshops, Meetings, and Conferences
- Provide programmatic support for Distinguished Visiting Professors, PCMI Director, and WAM Academic Program Manager to coordinate and drive cyclical processes.
- Liaise between IAS/School/PCMI Diversity Committees to strengthen and support diversity efforts.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for organizers, participants, and other stakeholders; provide logistical instructions; and use judgment and discretion to provide information and answer questions and concerns with outstanding customer service.
- Coordinate the logistics for facilities, IT, audio-visual equipment, housing, transportation, and meals.
- Work with Math Computing to update, open/close, and manage the online application or registration process for each program.
- Manage the receipt of applications and registrations; organize and distribute applications for review.
- Coordinate and convene committee meetings.
- Send acceptance, wait list, and declination letters to applicants and invitation letters to registrants.
- Attend special events and interdepartmental meetings related to School of Math programs.
- Solicit end-of-program reports from each organizer and post or distribute those reports as required.
Financial & Grant Management
- Together with the School Administrative Officer and co-Program Manager, oversee the operating budget for each program, including oversight, analysis and tracking of all expenses.
- Provide the School Administrative Officer relevant financial reports and updates to aid in budget decisions and grants compliance.
- Work with Development to identify, apply and reapply for grants and new funding opportunities.
- Together with the PIs, write and submit funding proposals to NSF and other private foundations.
- Coordinate with the Comptroller’s Office to ensure financial compliance with funding agencies, including accounting needs and budget reporting.
- Process travel reimbursements and honoraria for organizers, lecturers, and participants.
- Coordinate vendor contracts and purchasing.
- Organize any applicable childcare funds for program participants and disseminate instructions
Marketing & Research
- Together with the School Administrative Officer, continually assess program objectives and impacts as they relate to the goals of the School.
- Liaise with Communications, Development, and the Director’s Office to promote SoM programs.
- Develop and manage strategic opportunities to connect SoM programs to the greater IAS community.
- Create a marketing strategy for programs, collectively and individually.
- Redesign and maintain the website for each program, and implement web analytics.
- Evaluate, develop and maintain presence on social media and in selected print and online advertising.
- Select and maintain School memberships with AMS, AWM, and other professional associations.
- Send email blasts and/or topic LISTSERVs in support of marketing goals.
- Research and collect data on peer institutions and programs to better define and leverage IAS niche.
- Liaise with IAS Publicity Office to create, print, and distribute annual posters.
- Administer and summarize the exit surveys for each program.
- Research and collect data on women in mathematics.
- Track alumni contact information, career progress, honors/distinction data, and news.
- Maintain and update alumni databases annually.
- Together with the co-Program Manager, supervise four (4) temporary summer employees and two (2) student workers.
All Other Duties as Assigned by the Supervisor
Skills and Abilities
- Strong self-motivation, organization, and follow-up skills
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects with both flexibility and meticulous attention to detail
- Able to prioritize, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to exercise good judgment and creativity in problem-solving
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the Institute community required
- Ability to improve process and standards and operations in support of the SoM Programs
- Ability to attend at least 50% of the School’s evening and weekend programs required
- Ability to attend the entire PCMI program in Utah (or other future location) required
- Four (4) Temporary Summer Employees
- Two (2) Student Workers
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience required
- Previous experience with database management software and Microsoft Office programs required
- Significant experience managing, coaching, building, and working productively with teams required
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program. Interested candidates please apply to the position at: : ias.synchr-recruit.com/job/103069/math-program-manager