Deep Learning: Alchemy or Science?
Deep learning has led to rapid progress in open problems of artificial intelligence—recognizing images, playing Go, driving cars, automating translation between languages—and has triggered a new gold rush in the tech sector. But some scientists raise worries about slippage in scientific practices and rigor, likening the process to “alchemy.” How accurate is this perception? And what should the field do to combine rapid innovation with solid science and engineering? A distinguished panel of experts convened by Visiting Professor Sanjeev Arora will discuss these issues.
- Michael Collins, Google Research, Columbia University
- Yann LeCun, Facebook, New York University
- Joelle Pineau, Facebook, McGill University
- Zachary Lipton, Carnegie Mellon University
- Shai Shalev-Shwartz, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Speakers will respond to audience questions as well as those sent on Twitter using #AlchemyOrScience, Speaker Name. For more information, please visit: https://www.ias.edu/math/tml/dlasagend.
Videos from the event are available at the IAS YouTube channel.