Mailchimp is an email marketing platform designed to help users reach their target audience using email campaigns and newsletters. Mailchimp has many features to facilitate email correspondence such as:
- Email Campaign creation and management
- Automations and Third-Party Integrations
- Customizable Templates
- Custom Forms
- Reporting and Analytics
- Spam Filter Diagnostics
Using Mailchimp at IAS
Requesting a Mailchimp Account
Mailchimp accounts are available to IAS Staff. If you do not currently have an IAS-provided Mailchimp account and would like to request one, please reach out to the ITG Helpdesk to submit your request. If your request has been approved then you will be sent a Mailchimp email invitation for you to accept.
Cleaned Contacts are email addresses that have resulted in an email bounceback, an error message notifying the sender that their email failed to deliver. Cleaned Contacts consist of both hard bounces (permanent error) and repeated soft bounces (temporary error).
Email addresses are cleaned when they result in a hard bounce or repeated soft bounces. Hard bounces are permanent errors such as the recipient's email address not existing or the recipient's email server blocking email delivery. Soft bounces are temporary fixable errors such as full mailboxes, too many emails being sent during a set period, and emails being blocked due to content. For more information on hard bounces vs. soft bounces, please see this Mailchimp article.
Only one audience exists in the IAS Mailchimp space and you should not create additional audiences. If you wish to target a particular subset of the Institute's audience, it is recommended that you utilize Mailchimp's Audience Segmentation tools. Here is an official Mailchimp guide on segmented audiences.
- Navigate to Audience > All contacts.
- Select New Segment.
- Set the dropdown menus to Email Marketing Status | is | Cleaned.
- Select Preview Segment.
- In the dialog window that appears, name your segment then click Save.
- If you would like to download a file of your cleaned contacts, click Export Segment.
If you would like to fix a clean address, such as correcting a mistyped email address, please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Click the Audience > Audience dashboard.
- Expand the Manage Audience drop-down and select Add a subscriber.
- Type in your contact’s corrected email address
- Check the This person gave me permission to email them box.
- Click Subscribe.
One of Mailchimp's many features is email tracking, which adds tracking information to email campaigns and allows users to gather information on sent email campaigns such as:
- How many of your recipients opened your campaign. (Open Tracking)
- How many times a URL was clicked on your campaign (Click Tracking)
Some email clients are configured to block any email campaign with email tracking enabled for privacy reasons so it is recommended to disable email tracking unless it is explicitly needed. (Email tracking is enabled by default).
- Navigate to the Settings & Tracking section of the Campaign Builder, then click Edit.
- Uncheck Track opens and Track clicks.
- Click Save.