Apply to the 2020 Undergraduate Summer School Program
Application to 2020 Undergraduate Summer School Program
— APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2020
- Is this program right for you? Program description.
- Application procedure. Guidelines & requirements.
- You’re ready to apply. Link to USS application.
Undergraduate mathematics majors and recent graduates interested in an intensive research experience in mathematics are encouraged to apply to the Undergraduate Summer School at PCMI. Undergraduates at all levels as well as recent graduates will be considered.
Prerequisites for the USS lecture series on P-adic Number Theory are: linear algebra, a proof-based course, and either real anlaysis or abstract algebra. A course in number theory would be helpful, but is not required.
PCMI is using the web service MathPrograms.Org to receive and review applications for the 2019 PCMI Summer Session. See below for the link to the USS application at MathPrograms.Org. Deadline for submission of applications is January 31, 2020. Supplemental materials (including the required reference letter and official or unofficial transcript, and optional CV) should be received by PCMI by January 31, 2020—incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection committee.
You will receive a decision by February 22. In coordination with the Mathematical Sciences REU Common Reply Date, students who are invited to the USS program will not be required to accept or decline the offer until March 8 (or later). (Late applications may be considered at the discretion of the program organizers, but may receive lower priority for acceptance.)
Students who are accepted to the Undergraduate Summer School receive full funding from PCMI, including registration fee/meals, lodging, and travel allowance. USS participants who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents receive a stipend of $1,100. (Due to National Science Foundation rules, USS participants must meet one of these criteria to be eligible for a stipend.)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Guidelines & Requirements
Be sure to read the guidelines and requirements before accessing and completing the online application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee. You can email us with your questions.
- Applications are submitted and reviewed online using the web service MathPrograms.Org. Be sure that you use only the link below to apply. If you do not have an account at MathPrograms.org, you will login by filling in your email address and chosen password and the checkbox “this is my first login.” If you have a MathPrograms.Org account but are using a new email address, there is no need to create a new account; just login using the old email, and switch to the new email. Your login will take you to your My Portfolio page, where all of your application materials are stored.
- Your first step is to complete a Standard Coversheet for MathPrograms.Org. After you have created a Standard Coversheet you can then apply to the PCMI Undergraduate Summer School. Your Standard Coversheet should include the name/s and email address/es of your reference writer/s. One reference letter is REQUIRED (see below); you may submit up to two references in support of your application. You are advised to let your reference writers know about your request so they won't delete the email reference request as spam.
- Provide ONE Reference Letter (REQUIRED): On the application, fill in the checkbox for your reference writer from the names you entered on your Standard Coversheet, then click on the green arrow next to the reference writer’s name so the writer will receive your reference request by email. Your reference writer will then receive login info and upload instructions to come to the MathPrograms.org site to upload their letters. If any of your references do not have access to a computer, they may submit the reference letter by mail no later than January 31, 2020. The reference letter is necessary for your application portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide a copy of your Current Transcript (REQUIRED): This can be submitted online as an attachment to your application or via mail no later than January 31, 2020. The transcript can be an unofficial copy if an official copy is not available. If a natural disaster in your location prevents timely access to an official or unofficial transcript, please email email@example.com and the staff will authorize an alternative arrangement, such as a letter or email confirmed by an advisor, registrar, or faculty member, listing the courses you have taken by year and the grade that you report receiving in each course.
- Provide your Curriculum Vitae/Resume (OPTIONAL). Applicants are encouraged to upload their CV to their online application.
- The submission of your application is successful only if you see the "Thank you for your application" screen right after you click the Apply button at the bottom of the application form.
YOU’RE READY TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM …
- Do not apply before reading the Guidelines & Requirements above.
- Be sure to have the names and email address(es) of your reference(s) ready.
- Then click APPLY NOW below to begin your application process.
The submission of your application is successful only if you see the "Thank you for your application" screen right after you click the Apply button at the bottom of the application form
We recommend that you log in to your MathPrograms.Org account periodically and check your Status screen to make sure your application is complete or to update it (for example, to add your current transcript or to send an email request to a reference writer). You may wish to bookmark the login page for that reason.
Questions? Problems? EMAIL PCMI staff and we will try to help.