The Institute for Advanced Study requires that all incoming scholars have health insurance coverage for themselves and the dependents who accompany them. You are required to complete a Health Insurance Questionnaire indicating that you have adequate medical coverage for the duration of your stay.
The Institute's minimum requirement for health insurance coverage is:
· $100,000 for medical benefits per accident or illness
· $500 deductible per accident or illness
· $50,000 for medical evacuation
· $25,000 for repatriation of remains
This is the same as the minimum required by federal regulations governing the Exchange Visitor program for any Member here on a J-1 visa, and any J-2 dependents, for their visas to be in correct status. These are minimum requirements and we encourage you to consider enrolling in a plan that provides more coverage than the minimum.
This requirement can be satisfied in one of three ways:
1. By continuing the health insurance coverage provided through your home institution, your granting agency or your government (if applicable), or
2. By enrolling in one of the two group health insurance plans offered through the Human Resources Office at the Institute. Coverage in either of the Institute plans typically begins the first day of arrival. Please contact Human Resources upon arrival to enroll so that your coverage begins immediately, or
3. If you are a resident of another country, by enrolling in foreign scholar insurance on your own. Individuals on a J visa are required to carry insurance for themselves and their dependents that will provide at minimum, $50,000 per person. There are plans available from HTH Worldwide Insurance and Marsh (Gateway) as well as others. This link Alternate Health Insurance Options for International Scholars has information on several companies that offer this type of insurance. The Institute does not deal directly with these organizations nor have any connections with them. This information is provided simply to present other insurance options available. Please be careful in reading these plans as many provide only urgent and emergency coverage and no coverage for routine medical. Also some plans specify that they have the option to return you to your home country for treatment once you are stabilized if that is determined to be the most cost effective alternative.
If you have the opportunity to continue your health insurance through your home institution directly or under a COBRA provision, that may be the most advantageous way for you to carry insurance. If you do decide to maintain your current health plan, we strongly encourage you to review the provisions of your plan to insure that you will have adequate coverage while residing in New Jersey. Some plans do not work well outside of the home region.
At the link above you will find detailed information and rates for the two Aetna group health plan options and the United Healthcare dental plan available through the Institute. There are no pre-existing condition exclusions on either of the medical plans that are offered through the Institute. You should make certain that you have valid insurance coverage until your new coverage becomes effective. If you decide not to enroll in one of our plans upon initial hire, you may have the option of enrolling during the open enrollment period. There will be one open enrollment period in November 2017 for a January 1, 2018, effective date.
By enrolling in either HTH, etc., or one of the Institute plans, repatriation and medical evacuation charges, as required for "J" scholars, will be covered. If you are interested in enrolling in one of the plans offered through HTH, etc., please note the limitations of their plans, including some exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
The Institute currently offers a subsidy to assist with the cost of health insurance to Members who meet certain criteria. Please see the link above IAS Health Insurance Subsidy Program for the application and to review the criteria for eligibility.
Should you have any questions regarding health insurance, please feel free to call (609) 734-8243 or 8245, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org